News: Now available. Proceedings of the Chelmsford Conference £15. A review of recent archaeology in Essex. Our Annual Report 2014 may be viewed online. Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History may subscribe to digital downloads of our back catalogue of publications. Use Contact Form for more information.

Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Sperling's Essex Churches (2)

S/LIB/9/17
CFD Sperling. Index of Essex Churches (ref to Morant)

Extracts:
(104) Dunmow, Little. “In 1104 Inga Baynard, lady of Little Dunmow, caused Maurice, bishop of London to dedicate the church of the town in honour of St Mary the Virgin. VH II 150.”
(107) Donyland, East (with Rowhedge). “Church built of white brick in 1838, is octagonal, in imitation of the Chapter house of York Minster.”
(108) Easter, Good. “Tower burnt March 1885, & rebuilt.”
(117) Epping (with Ryehill hamlet). “Church All Saints, 2 miles from the town, in the Uplands, now used as a chapel of ease. The free chapel, St John Baptist, in the town, made Parish Church in 1888 by Act of Parliament. Rebuilt in 1833, & again in 1908. A collection by Brief in 1783 to raise £1498.7.6..”
(129) Foulness. “Parish formed in 1550. It was formerly a chapelry. The lands were titheable to six different parishes until 1408, when a chantry chapel was founded (22 Jan 1408) by Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury, Joan Bohun Countess of Hereford, Sir Richard Waldegrave, Sir Gerard Braybrok, Sir Wm Marney, Robert de Tey, Robert Rokell, Thos Martell & Richard Withermarsh London with 240 acres of land & 33/4 rent, a rood of land for the chapel and an acre for the Chaplain’s house. (Patent Rolls of Henry II).”
(133) Fryerning. “Font Norman very like that of Little Laver.”
(141) Hadstock. “A Remarkable Pre-Conquest cruciform church possibly built by Canute in 1020 after Battle of Assandum (Ashdon).  Spring in Churchyard known as St Botolph’s well.”
(150) Harlow. “Vicarage ordained 1398. [Church] Accidently burnt down 28 April 1708 (damage estimated £2,035). Collections made by Brief, at Tollesbury 3 May 1709, & it was then rebuilt or restored. (For ye rebuilding of ye Church & Steeple of Harlow in Essex, burnt down by fire & ye bells melted, damage accountable between 2&3000. Collected 5/5¼, by brief, at North Walsham, Norfolk. 31 July 1709. East Anglian I n.s. 272).”
(152) Hatfield Broad Oak or Hatfield Regis. “The present church is the parochial nave & choir. The conventual church extended from & adjoined to the east end of the parochial church. TEAS VI 327.”
(156) Hazeleigh. “Church of St Nicholas. Described by Fetch, p90., built of timber & plaster.”
(173) Ilford, Great. “The chapel of the Hospital of St Mary & St Thomas was formerly used as the parish church.”
(179) Kelvedon Hatch. “Built 1752 of red brick. A collection by Brief in 1752, & 1750 (East Anglian XIII 234). A new church on a new site was built in 1895.”

No comments: