CFD Sperling. Index of Essex Churches (ref to Morant)
“There are 401 old Parish Churches and 3 Chapelries (Basildon, Brentwood, Canvey Island) 204 in Archdeaconry of Essex and 200 in Archdeaconry of Colchester, for which parish registers should be in existence.”
Abberton, Asheldham, Ashingdon, Cricksea, Faulkbourne, Frating, Little Leighs, Middeton, Cold Norton, Norton Mandeville, Ovington, Little Parndon, Quendon, Little Stambridge, Shopland, Sutton (or Great Sutton), Theydon Mount, Tilbury by Clare, Tolleshunt Major (or Beckingham or Great Tolleshunt), Twinsted, Vange, Virley, Wenden Lofts, Wennington, Widford, Wimbish “with Thunderley (united in 1425)”, Little Yeldham: “In this parish there were not ten householders in 1428”.
(2) Aldham. “New Church built in 1855, about a mile from the site of the old one, with old 14th century timber porch brought from the old church”.
(5) Althorne. “Brass (Hyklott) 1508. This William Hyklott ‘paid for the werkmanship’ of the walls of the church’”.
(15) Ballingdon & Brundon. “Each of these places originally possessed Chapels which have long disappeared. Now joined to All Saints, Sudbury, & transferred to the Diocese of Ely. Roger le Marmant was patron of the church of Brundon in 1178, when the Bishop of London decreed that Brundon Church should enjoy the rights of a separate church, subject to the payment of an annual pension of 2/- to the mother church of Bulmer”.
(32) Billericay “originally a chapelry of Great Burstead”. “There were two fairs yearly, one on 22nd July, the feast of St Mary Magdalen (the patron of the mother church of Great Burstead), the other on 29th August, the feast of … of St John (Cal Pot Rolls. 10 Dec 1476). A collection by Brief in 1775, to raise £1560.13.7 estimated cost of rebuilding. The church is modern, brick, with an ancient Perpendicular tower of brick”.
(33) Birch, Great. “Rebuilt 1850. The church of Little Birch, in ruins, stood in the Park near Birch Hall. The two parishes were united by Act of Parliament 1816”.
(61) Burstead, Great “with Billericay Chapelry until 1844”. “Ralph de Bellaville confirmed to the Abbey of Stratford Langthorn the gift of his father Geoffrey de Bellaville, viz the church of St Mary Magdalen of Burghaeld, 1208.”
(67) Canvey Island. “Rebuilt in 1745. The land in the island was titheable to 9 different parishes. The chapel stands in the portion belonging to Laindon. Parish formed in 1881. Present church erected in 1875.”
(68) Chadwell St Mary. “West Lee Chapel, on the site of Tilbury Fort, dedicated in name of St Mary Magdalene has been transferred from the parish of West Tilbury to Chadwell. Palin I 109.”
(100) Debden. “The tower was formerly in the centre, but it fell Aug 1698 (Cole MSS) & crushed the chancel & transcepts. TEAS II 161.”