News: Now available. Proceedings of the Chelmsford Conference £15. A review of recent archaeology in Essex. Our Annual Report 2014 may be viewed online. Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History may subscribe to digital downloads of our back catalogue of publications. Use Contact Form for more information.
Monday, 27 June 2016
A service to commemorate the first day of the Battle of the Somme will be held at North Weald Airfield at 7.30am on Friday 1 July 2016. For more information follow this link: https://www.evensi.uk/battle-of-the-somme-commemoration-service-north-weald/180362951 . The airfield itself is 100 years old this year, constructed in 1916 to defend the enemy from attacking London.
Tuesday, 21 June 2016
I'm working on a documentary for BBC Radio 4 looking into the disappearance and possible death of Ada Constance Kent from Finringhoe in 1939.
If you're not familar with the story there's a little (probably inaccurate) write up of it here http://coolinterestingstuff.com/the-unexplained-mystery-of-ada-constance-kent-the-skeleton-in-the-bedroom
I've managed to gether some contemporary newspaper suttings about the case, but I'd love to know if there's anyone who was at all involved with Ada Kent who's still alive - any friends or relatives.
If anyone has more information on this case than is availale online then it'd be great to speak with them. Or if there are any records or newspaper articles it would be useful to look at, I'm keen to do so.
Looking forward to hearing from you if you think there's anything to go on!
With thanks and best wishes,
Sunday, 12 June 2016
Breaking News. The Essex Society for Archaeology and History is a late entrant to this event, to be held this coming Saturday. Come along and show your support to family and local history groups.
Galleywood Heritage Centre, Margaretting Road, Galleywood, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 8TR
Saturday 18 June 2016
11 am to 4 pm . All welcome with free entry. The society will offer visitors help and advice as well as show visitors what they have to offer. Also in attendance will be representatives from several Family History Societies from neighbouring areas, local historical societies, and other organisations who will all showcase their activities Those already booked are: East of London FHS , Hertfordshire FHS, Waltham Forest FHS , Essex Police Museum, Galleywood Heritage Centre, Hylands House, Little Baddow Historical Society, Western Front Association, Essex Record Office, Friends of Historic Essex, Chelmsford Civic Society and Basildon Heritage Group plus the Essex Society for Archaeology and History. At 1pm & 2.30pm there will be a talk “The Real Dad's Army ”
The Essex Society for Archaeology and History will have a table devoted to the archives which it will be very soon sending on permanent loan to the Essex Record Office. This includes notes on Essex churches made in the early twentieth century and pictures on laptop of many taken between 1870-1910.
Entry to the event is free.
Members will have received through the post notice of the Annual General Meeting of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History on Saturday 25 June, 2pm, at Colchester Castle. This came with the Summer 2016 edition of the Newsletter (No. 178) issued earlier than usual. Items this time include:
- From The President. Adrian Corder-Birch mentions the forthcoming AGM, our new membership leaflet, the issue of Volume 5 of our Transactions with Volumes 6 & 7 having material in hand for the new editor, the change of names of Committees to reflect more accurately what they are doing (Library Committee is now Library and Archives Committee, Publications Committee is now Publications and Research Committee), the placing of our Morant print in the Library, and the appointment of Zoe Quinn as our Publicity Officer.
- Major Brinson at Paestum: follows up a previous item on the archaeological work of J.E.S. Brinson during the Second World War in Italy
- VCH Southend Project: the plan for a "short" publication
- Suspension of the Harwich-Shotley Gate Ferry
- The Blackwater as a London Airport: proposal following the Second World War
- Saving The Century: Victorian Society Exhibition in 2015
- The Last Years of the River Crouch Ferries
- The Society Archives: The Sellers give us the Sixties (conclusion)
- A Mabbitt Contribution to the Society Archives: The Medieval Feast which celebrates the Society's centenary in 1953
- The Harwich Redoubt and Victoria County History
- Sir Edward Bysshe's Visitation of Essex 1664-68
- The Christy Family and its link to the cradle of Industrial Revolution
- Leverton Charities, Waltham Abbey
- Some Essex Closing Rings
- Wolfstones, Dogstones and Quernstones
- Dew Ponds in Essex?
- Morant Lecture at Stebbing, 19 March 2016
- Society Visit to Great Dunmow Maltings, 16 April 2016
- Ulting Wick and Ulting Church
- ESAH Digitisation Project
- Events in Essex
- Obituary: Kenneth Neale (1922-2016)
Friday, 10 June 2016
'Zeppelins Over Essex: 31 March 1916' is a talk to be given by Andrew Smith, with audience participation, to mark the 100th anniversary of the great Zeppelin raids across Blackmore and Essex during the First World War.
Thursday 16 June 2016
The Priory Church of St Laurence, Blackmore
The talk follows the AGM of the Friends of St Laurence. Admission free, followed by refreshments.