.

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Glasscock's Notes and Gleanings (3)

S/LIB/9/28
MSS Book.  Notes and gleanings from various places in Herts and Essex

Author: J L Glasscock Jnr (covers 1882 – 1925)

[Folio 4] Great Hallingbury
Augt 11th 1883 –
The church is dedicated to St Giles.  There are five Bells, no Priest, Sanctus, or other small Bell.
[Bells described, including Coat of Arms on 3rd bell]
Item. I took a squeeze of the above from which I made plaster casts to send to Mr North.
[Folio 5]
[…]
During Harvest the 3rd Bell is rung as a gleaning bell at 8am and 6pm
(d) The Passing Bell is rung 24hrs after death but the sex is not denoted.
(e) No ringing at Funerals
[…]
(h) Bells are rung on Easter Sunday Whitsunday & Xmas Day.
[…]
Oct 3rd 1883.
I saw today by the courtesy of Revd Oswald the Parish Registers & Churchwardens accts of Gt Hallingbury. The Register commences in 1537 the first part appears to be bound in what appears to be an old missal – I looked through the greater portion of the Register but had not time to make any extracts.  I noticed however one or two singular entries relating to suicides bastard children, & death by frost &c.  Item To look through this again and make extracts.
The Churchwardens Accts are in a paper Book covered with Parchment the earliest account is 1526 – The entries as a rule are similar to those in the Stortford accounts & the writing is also similar. I had not time to go through the whole, I looked through the earlier ones carefully & made the following extracts, I should however have liked if I had the time to examine the remainder more minutely. […]

No comments: