.

Sunday 14 December 2014

The Will of William Balle, of Colchester (1503)

The Will of William Balle, of Colchester (1503)

BALLE, WILLIAM – 30 October, 1503. Of Colchester, yeoman.  My soul "to Almighty God my creator and Saviour, and to the blissid virgin, our lady Saint Mary, his glorious moder, and to all the saints in hevin."  To be buried in the churchyard of St. Mary in the Wall, ColchesterTo the high altar of the same, for offerings and duties forgotten or negligently withholden, in discharging of my soul, 6s. 8d.  To Powlis pardon, 4d.  To the building of the new steeple of  St. Mary's church aforesaid, 6s. 8d.[1]  Executors to provide a trentall to be sung for my soul, they paying parson 10s.

To my wife, Joan, my land in the town of Stokeneyland {Stoke by Nayland, Suffolk} called Rows, and all my lands called Sturislyon and Streks, also 2 tenements called ldwenys, in the town of Stoke aforesaid, by the way coming from the park, and another with a garden thereto called Weldes upon Stoke tye, for her life.  After my wife's death my lands to be sold and the proceeds to be equally divided between my surviving children; if none survive, the said proceeds to be disposed for the welfare of my soul and my friends' souls.  Executors to hold my tenement called John Adams with the lands belonging thereto for my son, John Balle, until he come of age.

Residue to my wife, Joan, to be disposed by her for my soul, as she may think best.   Executors: my wife, Joan; Master Thomas Cristemas.

Proved 1 December, 1503, and admin. granted to Joan, widow of the testator.                   (F . 260a;  also P.C.C,. Blamy ·r 30 .)

{Taken from ‘Essex Wills at Canterbury’, by Revd. G M Benton, Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society, Volume 21, Part 2.}



[1] The church of St-Mary-at-the-Walls was ruined during the siege, but the two lower stages of the present tower are of early sixteenth century date. {The building is now the Colchester Arts Centre.}

No comments: