The inaugural meeting must have been well planned for it immediately elected all its officers and council for the first year. John Disney, of The Hyde, Ingatestone, became President. He was a wealthy collector of antiquities, who had recently founded the Disney professorship of archaeology at Cambridge. Charles Gray Round became honorary treasurer. As honorary secretary the new Society elected Edward Lewis Cutts, a young Yorkshireman who had come to Essex in 1850, as curate of Great Coggeshall. He had been the first to suggest the formation of the EAS, had drafted its original prospectus, and can fairly be regarded as the founder of the Society.
An extract from 'Our Triple Jubilee: the Essex Archaeological Society, 1852-2002', by W R Powell, published in Essex Archaeology and History, Volume 32 (2001) - available from our Online Bookshop.