This week's Forum asks whether readers are related to people listed below who were members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History in 1907/08. The organisation has changed much since then, so it is interesting to see those who were 'elected', the 'rules' they abided by, and their annual subscription - which was not cheap!
ESSEX ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY.
MUSEUM: COLCHESTER CASTLE.
OFFICERS AND COUNCIL FOR 1907-8.
HENRY LAVER, Esq, F.S.A., F.L.S.
The Right Hon. LORD .EUSTACE CECIL.
The Right Rev. the LORD BISHOP OF ST. ALBANS, DD.
The Right Hon. LORD BRAYBROOKE.
The Right Hon. LORD RAYLEIGH, M.A., F.R.S.
The Right Hon. LORD CLAUD HAMILTON.
The Right Rev. the Bishop OF COLCHESTER, D.D.
The Right Rev. the BISHOP OF BARKING, D.D., F S.A.
The Right Hon. JAMES ROUND
The Right Hon. JAMES ROUND.
Sir H. SEYMOUR KING, K.C.I.E., M.P.
Colonel the Right Hon. M. LOCKWOOD, M.V.O., M.P.
GEORGE COURTAULD, Esq.
Sir R. HAMILTON LANG, K.C.M.G.
J. HORACE ROUND, Esq., M.A., LL.D.
CHRISTOPHER W. PARKER, Esq.
Sir T. BARRETT-LENNARD, Bart.
The PRESIDENT (ex-officio).
The Rev. HAMILTON ASHWIN, LL.D.
G. F. BEAUMONT, Esq., F.S.A.
FREDERIC CHANCELLOR, Esq., F.R.I.B.A.
MILLER CHRISTY, Esq., FL S.
The Rev. A. E. CURTIS, M.A.
The Rev. H. L. ELLIOT, M.A.
E. A. FITCH, Esq., F.L.S. The Rev. F. W. GALPIN, M.A., F.L.S.
I. CHALKLEY GOULD, Esq., F.S.A.
M. E. HUGHES-HUGHES, Esq.
The Rev, J. W. KENWORTHY.
HENRY LAVER, Esq., F.S.A., F.L.S.
FRANCIS M. NICHOLS, Esq., F.S.A.
W. J. NICHOLS, Esq.
The Rev. CANON NORMAN, M.A.
The Rev. L. N. PRANCE, M.A., F.S.A.
G. E. PRITCHETT, Esq., F.S.A.
The Rev. E. H. L. REEVE, M.A.
DOUGLASS ROUND, Esq.. M.A.
J. HORACE ROUND, Esq., M.A., LL.D.
C. F. D. SPERLING, Esq., M.A.
J. D. TREMLETT, Esq.
W. C. WALLER, Esq., M.A., F.S.A.
The Right Hon. JAMES ROUND
The Rev. T. H. CURLING, B.A., 11, Rawstorn Road, Colchester.
W. C. WALLER, Esq., F.S.A., Loughton.
HENRY LAVER, Esq., F.S.A., Colchester.
Mr, A. G. WRIGHT, The Museum, Colchester.
Braintree—The Rev. J. W. KENWORTHY.
Brentwood—Col. F. LANDON.
Bishops Stortford—G. E. PRITCHETT, Esq., F.S.A.
Chelmsford—F. CHANCELLOR, Esq., F.R.I.B.A.
Coggeshall—G.F. BEAUMONT, Esq.,F.S.A.
Colchester - H. LAVER,Esq.,F.S.A.,F.L.S.
Halstead—CHARLES PORTWAY, Esq.
Loughton—I. C. Gould, Esq., F.S.A.
Maldon—E. A. Fitch, Esq., F.L.S.
Printed by Wiles & Son, Trinity Street, Colchester.
Revised 14th April, 1894.
I. The Society shall be called the ESSEX ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY, and shall consist of a President, Vice-Presidents, a Council, and Members.
2. Candidates for admission must be proposed and seconded by Members and may be elected at any General or Council Meeting.
3. When considered advisable, the Council may elect as Honorary Members for one year persons who are not Subscribing Members of the Society. Honorary Members shall be entitled to all the privileges of membership during the current year of their election, and they shall be eligible for re-election.
4. The subscription of ordinary Members shall be 10/6 per annum, payable on election, and annually in advance on the 1st of January, £5 5s 0d. may be paid as a Life Composition in lieu of the Annual Subscription.
5. The President, Vice-Presidents, and Council shall be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting of the Society. Vacancies may be filled up at any General Meeting.
6. Any Member who has been elected to the Presidency for five successive years, shall ipso facto be ineligible for re-election to that office for a period of three years.
7. The President and Council (of whom three shall form a quorum) may elect a Secretary, Treasurer, Curators, Bankers, Auditors, and other Officers, and shall conduct the affairs of the Society.
8. Local Secretaries shall be elected annually by the Council tor such districts as the Council shall prescribe, and it shall be the duty of the Local Secretaries to promote the objects of the Society and to report to the Council discoveries in, and matters of archaeological interest connected with, their respective districts.
9. General Meetings of the Society shall be held at such times and places as the Council may determine, for the following among other purposes:--the transaction of business, reading papers, receiving communications, exhibiting antiquities, discussing subjects of archaeological interest, and making excursions.
10. The Council shall (with the permission of the authors) select such of the papers read at the Meetings of the Society and of the communications received as it thinks proper, for publication in the Transactions of the Society or otherwise. The Transactions shall also comprise reports of the Society's Meetings, and such other matters of interest as the Council shall select. The editing of this volume shall be entrusted to the Secretary or such other person as may be appointed by the Council.
11. Every Member whose subscription is not in arrear shall be entitled to one copy of such parts of the Transactions as may be issued during the current year of his membership; and the issue of such parts shall be discontinued in the case of any member whose subscriptions are more than two years in arrear.
12. No alteration in, or addition to, these Rules shall be made except by a majority of the Members present at a General Meeting, 14 days' notice of any proposed alteration or addition having been previously given to the Council.
List of subscribing Members.
The sign * indicates Life-Compounders. The sign # indicates Vice-Presidents. Italic type signifies retirement at the end of the current year.
REVISED TO JUNE 6TH, 1907.
Abdy, Sir W. N., Bart., Junior Carlton Club, Pall Mall, S.W.
Abdy, Colonel, Naval and Military Club, Piccadilly, W.
*Adams, Rev. H. W., M.A., Normanhurst, Eton Avenue, Hampstead, N.W.
Adams, S. I. Ravenhurst, York Road, Southend-on-Sea,
Andrewes, Rev. J. B., M.A., St. Mary's Vicarage, Harlow.
Anketell, The Rev. H. R., Alphamston Rectory, Bures.
Anstead, Oliver R., Wall End House, East Ham.
Archer-Houblon, Col. G. B., Hallingbury Place, Bishop Storttord.
Archer, Miss T. M , Witham, Essex.
Ashwin, The Rev. Hamilton, LL.D., The Lecture House, Dedham.
Ashwin, Miss Hilda G. E., The Lecture House, Dedham.
Astley, Rev. J. Dukinfield, M.A., East Rudham, Swaffham, Norfolk.
*Avery, John, C. A., F.S.S., 63, Windsor Road, Forest Gate.
Bailey, Sir J., Lofts Hall, Saffron Walden; and 33, Harrington Gardens, S.W.
Baker, S. S., Bullwood House, Hockley.
Ball, E. A., Egg Hall, Epping.
Ball, R. F., Theydon Copt, Epping.
Bamford, Major A. B., V.D., 90, High Street, Chelmsford.
Barclay, R. L., Little Hallingbury.
Barker, Elliot F., 22, Gloucester Street, Belgrave Road, S.W.
Barker, Mrs. Eustace V. P., St. Alban's Lodge, Messing, Kelvedon.
#Barking, The Right Rev. the Bishop of, D.D., F.S.A., The Vicarage, Barking.
Barnes, G. W., Mount Orgueil, 34, Kingswood Road, Goodmayes, Ilford
Barnard, Miss P., Marigolds, Ilford.
Barnard, William, M.A., LL.B., 3, New Court, Carey Street, Lincolns Inn.
*#Barrett-Lennard, Sir Thomas, Bart., Belhus, Aveley, Romford.
Barrett-Lennard, Thomas, Horsford Manor, Norwich.
Barritt, E. H., 20, Beaconsfield Avenue, Colchester.
Bawtree, George W., Flixton House, near Lowestoft.
*Beaumont, G. F., F.S.A., The Lawn, Coggeshall,
Beaumont, Percy M., Maldon,
Bell, Joseph, Dorset House, Saffron Walden.
Benham, W. Gurney, 27, Lexden Road, Colchester,
Bentall, E. E., The Towers, Heybridge, Maldon.
Bentall, Leonard, Church House, Maldon.
Beridge, Rev. D. J. 'H., Gosfield Place, Halstead.
*Bergne, Francis a C., 12, Pembroke Road, Kensington, W.
Biddell, George, The Hawthorns, Edney Park, Teddington.
Birmingham Central Free Library, Birmingham.
Birt, Sir W., Devonshire House. Shortlands, Bromley, Kent.
Blyth, Miss Ada, Oxley Lodge, Tolleshunt Knights, Kelvedon.
Blyth, Miss F., Oxley Lodge, Tolleshunt Knights, Kelvedon.
Blyth, Miss E., Lexden, Colchester.
Botterell, J. Dumville, Colne Bank, Earls Colne.
Bradridge, Thomas, Park Gate, Great .Bardfield, Braintree.
Brand, F. J., Holmedale, Oakfield Road, Ilford.
#Braybrooke, The Lord, Heydon, Royston, Herts.
Bridge, J. C. E., Wybournes, Kemsing, Sevenoaks.
Brise - see Ruggles-Brise.
Broad, John, Ashford, Kent.
*Brocklebank, Rev. C. H., Bartlow House, near Cambridge.
Bromwich, Rev. C. T., The Rectory, Gestingthorpe, Castle Hedingham.
Brooke, Edward, Ufford, Woodbridge, Suffolk.
Brooks, C. N., Millbay, Dovercourt.
Brown, Arthur Henry, Brentwood.
Brown - see Gordon-Brown.
Browne, Robert Hollingworth, sen., Stapleford Abbots.
Brunwin, A. W., South Lodge, Great Bardfield, Braintree.
Buckham, The Rev. F. H., Tiptree Rectory, Kelvedon.
Burgess, Col. W. J., Shenfield, Brentwood.
Burgoyne, Rev. A. F., Finchingfield Vicarage, Braintree.
Burrows, J. H., Aylesford House, Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea.
Buxton, Sir Thomas Powell, Bart., G.C.M.G., Wallies, Waltham Abbey.
*Buxton, Alfred Fowell, Grange Court, Chigwell.
Buxton, Edward North, Knighton, Buckhurst Hill.
Buxton, Gerald, Birch Hall, Theydon Bois.
Buxton, Noel E., 2, Princes Gate, S.W.
Carter, Miss, Dunmow.
Cazenove, C. D., 26, Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, W.C.
*#Cecil, Lord Eustace, 111, Eaton Square, S.W.
Challis, A. J., Clatterford Hall, Fyfield, Ongar.
Chancellor, Frederic, F.R.I.B.A., Belleville, Chelmsford.
Chancellor, Mrs. F., Belleville, Chelmsford,
Cheston, Horace, The Grange, Hutton, Brentwood,
Chetham's Library, Hunt's Bank, Manchester.
Chisenhale-Marsh, NV. S., Gaynes Park, Epping.
Christy, Miller, F.L.S., The Blue House, Chignal St. James, Chelmsford
Christy, Miss, Boynton Hall, Chelmsford.
Clapton, Rev. Ernest, M.A., Stebbing Vicarage, Chelmsford.
Claridge, William, 32, Inglis Road, Colchester.
Clark, A. Laver, High Street, Maldon.
Clarke, W. R., Debden Flail, Loughton.
Clausen, Geo , A.R.A., Widdington, Newport, Essex.
Clifford, H., Brize's Park, Brentwood.
Cobb, Charles, Hythe Hill, Colchester.
*Cokayne, George E., M.A., Norroy King of Arms, College of Arms, E.C.
#Colchester, The Right Rev. the Bishop of, D.D., Chelmsford.
Coley, H. C., Glengall Lodge, Chantry Road, Bishops Stortford.
Colvin, Colonel R. Beale, C.D., Monkhams, Waltham Abbey.
Corble, George, Bridge House, Waltham Abbey.
Courtauld, Miss M. R., Evegate, Docking, Braintree.
*#Courtauld, George, Cut Hedge, Halstead.
Courtauld, Miss S. R., Docking Place, Braintree.
Coverdale, F. J., Brentwood.
Creed, R., Little Bardfield Hall, Braintree.
Crouch, Walter, F.Z.S., Grafton House, Wellesley Road, Wanstead.
Cunnington, H. J., Mount Place, Braintree,
CURLING, Rev. T. H., B.A. (Hon. Sec.), 11, Rawstorn Road, Colchester,
Curtis, Rev. A. F., M.A., The Vicarage, White Notley.
Curtis, Randolph, 23, Pembroke Square, Kensington, W.
Cuthbert, Mrs., 16, North Hill, Colchester.
Cutts, J. Edward K., 14, Southampton Street, W.C.
Dale, Rev. H., The Chaplaincy, Hornchurch.
Davies, Rev. H., Barnston Rectory, Dunmow.
Dawson, Rev. William, M.A., F.R. Hist. Soc., Susancroft, Loughton St. Mary.
Dawson, C. J., East Street, Barking.
Deedes, The Rev. Prebendary Cecil, 32, Little London, Chichester.
Dent, Francis, Hatfields, Loughton.
Dewick, Rev. E. S., M.A., F S.A., F.G.S., 26, Oxford Square, Hyde Park, W.
Dickenson, The Rev. F. W., inworth Rectory, Kelvedon.
Dickin, E. P., M.D., Brightlingsea.
Digby, Sir Kenelm E., K.C.B., King's Ford, Colchester.
Dixon, The Rev. T. G., Holton Park, Lincoln.
DuCane, Charles Henry Copley, Braxted Park, Witham.
Earle, J. Sim, F.S.A., 11, Pembridge Gardens, W.
Edwards, F. G., Faircroft, Harlow.
Edwards, A. J., Beech Hill Park, Waltham Abbey.
Eisdell, The Rev. J. W., The Vicarage, Barking.
Eld, Rev. F. J., Polstead Rectory, near Colchester,
*Elliot, Rev. F. E., Gosfield Vicarage, Halstead.
*Elliot, Rev. H. L. M.A., Gosfield Vicarage, Halstead.
Elwell, M. C. Land Agent's Office, Liverpool Street Station, E.C.
Emler, F. G., Murton Villa, Chelmsford Road, Woodford,
Essex Institute, The, Salem, Mass., U.S.A.
Evans, P. M., M.A., 29, Westbourne Terrace, W.
Fairbairn, Arnold, The Ridgeway, Enfield.
Finch, A. R., 41, Ladbrooke Grove, Notting Hill, NW.
Fisher, The Rev. Canon J. H., Debden Rectory, Saffron Walden.
Fitch, Edward A., F.L.S., Maldon.
Foakes, E. T., Westbury House, Dunmow.
Forbes, C., 42, Chester Road, East Ham.
Forster R. H., M.A., Artillery Mansions, Victoria Street, W.
*Forster, Thomas, 5, West Avenue Road, Walthamstow.
Fowler, R. C., Public Record Office, Chancery Lane, W.C.
Francis, E. B., Rayleigh.
Freeman, A. W., Maldon.
Frere, Miss A., Kelvedon, R.S.O.
Galpin, Rev. F. W., M.A., F.L.S., The Vicarage, Hatfield Broad Oak.
Gellatly, Peter, 41, Devonshire Place, W. ; and Monkwood Cottage, Loughton.
Gilbey, Sir -Walter, Bart., The Hall, Elsenham.
Gladstone, Miss Mary, Colne Engaine, Earls Colne, R.S.O.
Glassock, J. L., Grange Road, Bishop Stortford.
Goodchild, Mrs., Great Yeldham Hall, Halstead.
Goodhart, Rev. C. A., M.A., Lambourne Rectory, Romford.
Gordon-Brown, F., Tailours, Chigwell, Essex.
Gosset, Major-General, C.D., F.R.G.S., etc., Westgate House, Dedham, Essex.
Gould, I. Chalkley, F.S A., Traps Hill House, Loughton.
Green, Charles E., Theydon Grove, Epping.
Gregson, Frederic, M.A., Hampton House, Pembury Road, Westcliff-on-Sea.
Gregson, William, 8, Royal Terrace, Southend.
Grubbe, The Rev. R. H., The Vicarage, Ardleigh.
Guildhall Library, The, London, E.C.
Gurteen, D. M., The Duddery, Haverhill.
*Gwynne, J. E. A., F.S.A., Folkington Manor, Polegate, R.S.O Sussex.
Hale, Edmund, L.R.C.P., 369, King Street, Hammersmith, W.
Hall, J. J., 17, Empress Avenue, Cranbrook Park, Ilford.
Hallum, Edward Henry, West Lodge Road, Colchester.
#Hamilton, Lord Claud John, 4, Han's Mansions, S.W.
Harvard University Library, Cambridge,Mass., c/o Messrs. Kegan, Paul, Trench and Co., Dryden House, 43, Gerrard Street, London, W.
To be continued