News: Now available. Proceedings of the Chelmsford Conference £15. A review of recent archaeology in Essex. Our Annual Report 2014 may be viewed online. Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History may subscribe to digital downloads of our back catalogue of publications. Use Contact Form for more information.
Sunday, 16 August 2015
Essex Dove Houses (4)
Recent references to dovecotes in Essex Archaeology and History
Fingringhoe 35.240, 241–2, 241. Shorter note on ‘A tower at Fingringhoe’ by John McCann, “175 metres south-east of Fingringhoe Hall”. The item includes the illustration from Smith (1931).
Fyfield 37.161: at Fyfield Hall Barns, “the earliest buildings are a Grade II listed early-mid 16th century dovecote that was converted to a granary in the 17th century”
Little Braxted 31.219; 37.103, 107: ‘A medieval detached kitchen at Little Braxted Hall’ by Bond, Walker and Andrews, mentions later use as a dovecote.
Monument Protection Programme 31.201, 201, 202.
Newport 38.182–3: mention of later 18th century dovecote at Shortgrove Hall Farm – “were as much ornamental as an actual source of food”
Saffron Walden 35.161: Dovecote at St Aylotts proved undateable in dendrochronology
South Weald 38.186
Wenden Lofts 31.201, 201, 202 Within item on ‘Monumental Protection Programme’ are two illustrations of the dovecote at Wendon Lofts “which has exceptional preservation of internal features, including a fine array of wooden nest boxes”.
West Thurrock 40.55