|Interior. St Nicholas Chapel,|
Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History gathered for the Annual General Meeting last Saturday (7 June 2014). Once business was completed David Andrews, one of our members, described the venue - St Nicholas Chapel. This was the gatehouse chapel to the former abbey built of local brick c.1120. The building contains some of the earliest, if not the earliest, example of this material in Essex. There followed a tour of the abbey and mill in private grounds and tea.