News: Now available. Proceedings of the Chelmsford Conference £15. A review of recent archaeology in Essex. Our Annual Report 2014 may be viewed online. Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History may subscribe to digital downloads of our back catalogue of publications. Use Contact Form for more information.
Sunday, 13 March 2016
Some Essex Closing-Rings 3
Some Essex Closing Rings
This is the title of an unpublished portfolio of photographs taken by Fred Brand and S E Lloyd, sent to Revd. G Montagu Benton in 1935. In February 2016 it was given to the Society by the family of the late Kenneth Mabbitt and added to our archives pro tem (as S/LIB/9/51). Thirty-one items have been digitised, 29 of which are photographs of closing rings on Essex church doors with a sketch showing measurements alongside. Frederick Joseph Brand (1857-1939) had been a member of EAS since 1899. His obituary appeared in TEAS n.s. 23, p192-195, in which Benton mentions his enthusiastic interest in the topic. “He was engaged on this survey, which was nearing completion, practically up to the outbreak of war”. He took many photographs on the Society’s excursions and was “usually the last to regain his seat on the motor-coach”. Stanley E Lloyd, of Goodmayes, has been a member of EAS since 1923.
Examples here from Great Yeldham, Hempstead and Heybridge.